Thursday, October 16, 2008

Boss's Day brouhaha

Today is Boss's Day. The girls in the office have been aflutter all week. (I think this is the first time I've actually written the words "brouhaha" and "aflutter.")

I'm not into it. Don't get me wrong, I like my boss. I really like him, and with my authority issues ("You can't tell me what to do!") that's really saying something. Jack's an easy guy to work for; he's good natured, has a jaunty sense of humor, and plays fairly.

But Boss's Day? You gotta be kidding. I have trouble buying into those holidays created by the card companies. They can't tell me what to do.

I had a different boss in a different company vertical last year, another guy whom I liked a lot. A different set of girls were all aflutter; one brought in pies from Marie Callendar's to celebrate the momentous occasion. After all the brouhaha (now that I'm using these words, I can't stop), I marched myself into his office.

"I just want you to know," I began, hands on hips, "Pies are nice, but I'm the only one who thought to wear a miniskirt."

I think I'll go find something cute to wear to work today.

No comments: