Thursday, November 6, 2008

The gift of travel

I’m still flying high from last weekend’s trip to Sedona!

You know, traveling provides the perfect structure for spending quality time with people you dig; you’re on an adventure together, away from distractions, seeing things you’ve never seen before.

Several years ago, when I was still living in Albany, my mother and I took a trip to Arizona. We spent two days in Scottsdale, then went to Sedona for a couple of days, explored Jerome, and stayed in Prescott on our last night. Mom’s face still lights up when she talks about our time together.

When my son turned 21 I took him to Ireland. It was a short getaway; we flew into Shannon and stayed for a long weekend in Killarney, but Christopher will always remember that trip we took together. Any other present I could have given him that year would be long gone from his memory by now, almost 10 years later.

Christmas is coming—why not give the gift of travel? Do the kids really need yet another electronic gadget that will be obsolete in no time? Why not create a memory that will last forever?

No comments: