Friday, June 5, 2009

Heading down to PA

In about an hour, my kids and I will be heading down to Pennsylvania for Beautiful Aunt Joyce's wake. The past two days have been lighthearted, but the emotional dark clouds are definitely rolling in.

I guess they're expecting 1000 people at the wake tonight and 700 for the funeral tomorrow, which explains why the services were scheduled when they were. There will be police and fire department personnel directing traffic through the tiny town of Tamaqua, where BAJ was a pastor at St. Peter's United Church, and they must have needed time to coordinate everything.

Lori and her family left about a half hour ago, but she just called to say that they had a little fender bender in the parking lot of the plaza where they stopped to pick up some bagels. Lori said the woman in the other car was a total bitch who called someone and said "some white people" hit her. Jesus Christ, GET OVER THAT SHIT! And you DO NOT want to piss my Harly-ridin' sister off on the way to her aunt's wake.

Now I'm all riled up.

Anyway, I probably won't post again until after I get back to Vegas. But who knows, maybe I will. These days I need you more than you need me.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Keeping you in my thoughts and prayers!

Anonymous said...

Hi Linda,
I've been a lurker for a while - too shy to comment - but I did want to send my condolences to you and your family. Your BAJ was very lucky to have two great nieces - and I am sure vice versa.
Nancy

linda said...

I hope it all goes well for you. The journey, the friends, the wake and the funeral. I know it sounds cliche, but hopefully it will be a celebration of a good life lived and the memories of happy times.

Plus a few tears now and then.

Anonymous said...

we are with you in spirit ..hugs

travel girl said...

Feel a hug from California!!!

Julie D said...

Hey darlin, I'm just getting caught up on my blog reading. For some damn reason your blog no longer updates on my list of ones I read on my blog (you'll see it's at the very bottom and says you haven't posted since three weeks ago) so I didn't realize you'd been posting since you've been on the east coast.

I have kept you in my thoughts and prayers this past few days. Have a safe trip back to Vegas. Love you.

Argentine Rocket said...

I'm just catching up with your blog as well, you can see your Aunt Joyce's beautiful soul in the pictures! So sorry about your loss.

I've started training to run the Marine Corps Marathon this October as part of team American Institute for Cancer Research; you gave a very generous contribution to our fundraising campaign but then I got injured and couldn't run last year; well this year it will happen, and we will continue raising funds so that the Aunt Joyces of the world stay healthy with us for a very long time!

Hugs to you and your family!

Joanna Jenkins said...

Blessing to Aunt Joyce and your family.

Stephanie said...

I'm going to add to Julie's comment. I only hopped over here to see what was going on. I have you on my blogroll and it claims you have not posted in 4 weeks. Some kind of error in blog land.
Wishing you peace and joy..