Saturday, November 14, 2009

Aural pleasure

Doesn't that sound sexy? I'm talking about Leonard Cohen. He performed here in Las Vegas on Thursday night at the Coliseum in Caesar’s Palace and of course I had to go.

You might remember this post from when Mike and I saw him in Phoenix back in April. Mike was unable to go this time, but you know me, I don’t mind doing things by myself and there was no freakin’ way I was going to miss Leonard.

I’d never been to the Coliseum; as I expected, it’s a beautiful venue. I bought my ticket, got myself a t-shirt and beer and settled into my seat about 20 minutes before show time. The lady who sat next to me, Rita, was super nice. She’s from Israel, but has been living in Encino for the past 15 years. We had a great chat and of course I had to show her my book because that’s just what anyone who crosses my path these days has to endure.

Then about a minute before show time, two guys made their way into our row and I swear, the one who sat himself next to me looked exactly like George Clooney except he was a little bigger, a little younger, and about 10 times better looking. Yeah. And he was really friendly. Rita and I exchanged knowing glances and as the lights went down, I leaned over to her and whispered, “God loves me.”

The show in Phoenix was fantastic and Thursday night’s was just as enchanting. (That’s a pretty gay word that I don’t usually use, but in this case it really fits.) I’d say the two performances were about 80 percent the same—both were perfection. I’m so glad I didn’t miss that show.

I know there are a lot of you—both women and men—who wouldn’t feel comfortable going to concerts by yourself, or soloing on the town as I do. I wish I could convince you to give it a try. You'll never have as good a time sitting at home as you would sitting next to people like Rita and George.

8 comments:

Hurricane Mikey said...

Like stinky cheese, Leonard Cohen is an acquired taste. I've tried, but I just can't get there.

But, didn't he write one of the greatest songs of all-time, Hallelujah? (Go to You Tube and search for Allison Crowe singing it--just an amazing song!)

Also, you could've gone in a whole different direction with this post if you changed one word in the title from 'aural' to 'oral'. I'm just sayin'...

JeannetteLS said...

My best vacations have been on my own... when I was divorced, that "deliverance" trip all by myself was heaven. I think lots of women don't realize the JOYS of not compromising... getting up in the morning and being able to change the plan. And it's freeling to on your own I think,at a concert, on a vacation, in a museum, anywhere. Leonard, though. Sometimes I find the grittiness of him with slick back up is disconcerting. THAT said, the man is one of a kind and I have a double CD of his personal favorites, so I get that, too.

Bar L. said...

Sounds like a fabulous time! Believe it or not I don't mind going to things alone unless its a long drive at night because I have terrible night vision and get lost so easily....But yeah I have been to see some "must see" concerts alone.

I bet Rita is telling everyone she knows she met this wildly fun and funny lady at the Leonard show...

Carol said...

Linda,
Someone that looks like George comes and sits next to you and you don't take a picture. What is wrong with you woman!!!!lol

Sorry, but I just simply love George.

Carol :)
Perth WA

Vegas Linda Lou said...

@ Mikey: DO NOT put stinky cheese and Leonard Cohen in the same sentence. Really, Mikey, how could you?

@ Jeannette: "Deliverance" trip? Yikes! It's all fun and games until Ned beatty squeals like a piggy. I know what you mean about the grittiness, though. I used to play his music only when there were other people in the house.

@ Barbara: You are precious, and I'm glad you go out to concerts alone. For the hardcore music lovers like us, some artists are must-see no matter what.

@ Carol: I know! How could I leave the house without my camera??? You'll just have to imagine George in your own mind's eye. My bad.

Julie D said...

I gotta learn to do things on my own. I've gone to ONE movie by myself in my entire almost 49 years. Sad sad sad.

Reason #343 why I want to be VLL when I grow up! You're my idol!

Vegas Linda Lou said...

Aim higher, dear friend. Aim higher.

K A B L O O E Y said...

Saw Leonard Chen at Rdio City Music Hall this year and it was an amazing show. He was so frigging happy, he was adorable. (Two adjectives I never thought would apply to the guy.) As for doing stuff solo, I love traveling alone and have exactly that type of experience (hel-lo, fauxClooney guy). LOTS of adventures, but in my town I'm a bit less outgoing. I'll go to a movie, or dinner by myself, but I don't have the adventures. Glad you're blazing the trail.