Thursday, November 19, 2009

Do you believe in psychics?

Hey, if you missed last night’s Aging Nymphs internet radio show, you can always listen to the archives by clicking the link on the right sidebar of this page or you can go to www.blogtalkradio.com/agingnymphs.

We had a fun show--duh, I love talking about my book--and Prudence, my tarot card reader, also called in. I don’t talk much about psychics in this blog, but I’ve used them regularly for the past 15 years or so. I had my first reading with Prudence back in February 2000 when I was still living in Albany. At the time, I was going out with a guy I called “Mike Peterson” in my book, a Grateful Dead lover 12 years younger than me. (Yeah, that’s when I had two kids and a boyfriend all in their 20s.)

Among other things, Prudence saw that relationship ending and another strong romance starting “in 3-6 months, one with greater intensity than I’d ever experienced before.” (I save all my notes.) Then she pulled a card that indicated a marriage proposal and I thought, “You gotta be kidding.” Marriage was the last thing I could ever imagine. She also said I’d be moving to someplace warm and dry. Another thing that wasn't on the radar screen or even a twinkle in my eye at the time.

Three months later, to the day, I met BH and by the end of the year we were married. Needless to say, it doesn’t get any warmer or dryer than Las Vegas. And the date of my reading was BH’s birthday.

That was the only reading I’d had with Prudence until November 2008, when I called her out of the blue (she does phone readings, as well as in person). I’d used the services of other psychics over the years—and was happy with almost all of them—but for some reason I felt it was time to reconnect with Prudence. I’m happy I did. And oh, man… did she predict Mike coming into my life to a T.

I know that some (most?) people don’t understand psychics and think they’re a waste of money. I’ve always liked that stuff and won’t even engage in an argument. I don’t feel the need to defend them; I’ve said a million times that you can’t tell anyone anything and I’m not about to waste any time trying. For me, psychics can be more helpful and certainly cheaper than psychotherapy and I get what I need out of them, and that’s all that counts.

I usually call on a psychic when I need some direction, but can’t see the forest from the trees on my own. How about you? Do you ever consult psychics? Do you feel that you’re psychic yourself?

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

I've always wanted to talk to one but never had the guts to contact one! I'm SO curious!

Julie D said...

Totally believe in it. Can I get her number???

Tara said...

I've wanted to, but never have. I think it's all very fascinating, but I don't know how much I would believe in all of it. Besides, if someone tells me I'm getting married again, they're likely to get punched in the face..... I'm kidding.....

There's nothing wrong with boyfriends in their 20's right? Tell me again :)

Rochelle said...

I've been trying to see a pychic/energy healer for months on the recommendation of a friend but she's so popular I haven't been able to get in! I've never been to one before but this woman has been spot on with my friend.

Lisa Gioia-Acres said...

No I do not believe in psychics. You know me Linda, and if anyone wants to believe in their abilities, it is me. But alas, I think they are all pretending. I say that with greater conviction after my aunt and I went to see Sylvia Brown, who is the biggest fraud of them all. What was sad was just how much people wanted to believe and how you could see the desperate need they had for answers.

Nope, psychics are just good people-readers.

Fragrant Liar said...

Yes. I believe. One of these days I'd like to get a reading.

Vegas Linda Lou said...

Lisa, I think you make some good points, and I agree that some people who claim to be psychic are nothing but frauds. (I have an upcoming post about this.) And I also agree that in essence, psychics really are just good at reading people; it's just that a gifted psychic is REALLY good at reading people.

If anyone is interested in learning more about Prudence, send her an email at tarotbyprudence@aol.com. She's very nice and has a comforting style--you'll like her!

Anonymous said...

I believe everyone should work on developing their intuition on a daily basis for the rest of their lives. Everyone can use their intuition to some degree, some people are just more in-tune with that side of their mind-body-spirit connection. I think the word "Psychic" scares people off and is misunderstood by most. I use the word intuitive myself and do believe I am very intuitive and able to read people quite well... Personally my interests are really more of a life style, I use prayer,meditation,crystals and my intuition in my daily life...it keeps me balanced. I have had a few readings over the years...Most turned out to be quite accurate. The thing is if you can't validate what a reader tells you, least something in the reading.. then I would walk away, not every reader can connect to every person and you have to remember that it's not mind reading and a reading may not address an issue you want addressed...So keep an open mind..and take notes cause what might not make sense to you now... might ring true down the road. I read Tarot for myself when I am feeling I need guidance in my life.

Vegas Linda Lou said...

Well put, Lorri! "Intuitive" is a more better word, I agree.

Bar L. said...

I find this fascinating. I had never thought much about it but one of my blog friends did a tarot reading for me recently and if he's right I will have a man soon :) So yeah, I believe and he better be right ! :)