Monday, November 9, 2009

I used to think I was a female Larry David, but now I think I'm a female Ricky Gervais. Either way, I'm being awfully complimentary to myself...

... but that's nothing new.

Did you happen to see Ricky Gervais on Letterman last Friday night? He was talking about how the older he gets, the more he's annoyed by everything and I was like, "YES!"

He said, for example, he gets annoyed when he's in an empty restaurant and the waitress sits people right next to him and he has to listen to them chew, and how every other little noise drives him insane (short trip), but the best was when he talked about his intolerance for people who are late. He said something like, "I'm always 20 minutes early, so when someone shows up 10 minutes late, they've kept me waiting for half an hour."

[Picture me sitting on my couch with the stains from my kids' beer parties shouting "Amen, brother!" like a black person in church. (How's that for a stereotype?)]

And then he said something like, "I just can't imagine why people wouldn't want to rush to see me," at which point I turned into an octogenarian in an assisted living home and yelled, "BINGO!"

So maybe the perfect man does exist for me. Yeah, he's a short, pudgy, pasty little guy who obviously dyes his hair and has fang teeth... but he does have a killer sense of humor and an English accent. And as you know, I can overlook a lot for that.

9 comments:

Julie D said...

I am not saying a word. :::backing slowly out of the room::::

Todd said...

I can totally see this.

Anonymous said...

OMG I totally relate. I am so annoyed by people these days. UGH

Bar L. said...

Too funny. Its true about the annoyance thing and also about the overlooking a lot for a sense of humor and an accent!!

Mandy said...

Oh, he's a funny guy. Go for it Linda! :-)

Sense of humor is everything to me. Even when my husband is serious, he's cracking me up. Like yesterday when he was yelling at me NOT to get my hair dye in my eye or I could end up permanently blind, LOL! Oh well, guess you had to be there (or read my last post ;-)

Since you're starting your one-woman show, who knows, maybe you'll get to meet Rickey and Larry David!

Pearl said...

Oh, man, glad to see I'm not the only one!

Pearl

K A B L O O E Y said...

Ricky Gervais is SO funny. And yes, the accent helps. I'd do him much sooner than Larry David, and I kind of dig the fang teeth. I didn't see him on Letterman, because I don't watch the old cheater since I had a kid and turned into a pumpkin, but I did see him on Kathy Griffin (I think I remember that you don't like her, but she's so damn honest, I do. Her book was definitely worth reading) and he was lovely -- funny, self0-effacing, just terrific. I'd love to see him live. But your post reminds me that I want to go play hooky from my other responsibilities and read some more of your great book. Bye!

Unknown said...

Hey, he may be the guy of your dreams...sounds like there was a love connection of some sort, right???

raydenzel1 said...

A new plan, I will move somewhere that my accent makes me stand out in a good way.