Thursday, January 14, 2010

Creating the Path of Least Resistance

As of January 1, I changed my hours at work. Instead of 7 – 4, I now go in from 9 – 5:30. For the past three years I’ve been freakin’ exhausted from getting up so goddamn early—and in the dark—and then after work I’d come home and trudge around on half a cylinder until bedtime.

It’s all different now. I now wake up on my own terms and can pop in an exercise video or work on my personal projects for a while before I have to leave the house. I don’t mind getting out of bed anymore because I’ve got stuff to do—my own stuff. I also gain time at night; I can go see a band or stay up late at home without suffering the next day.

Now that I have only a half hour lunch, I don’t have time to go out to restaurants with my work friends. I do miss that, but on the plus side, I’m saving money and who knows how many calories by bringing my own lunch.

My point is, by making one simple adjustment, I’ve created a structure that is much more conducive to achieving my personal goals; I no longer resent having to sit in a cubicle all day when I have so much to do in real life because my real life stuff is getting done as well. I feel a hundred times better now that I’m exercising regularly again, which in turn gives me more energy.

Overall, my quality of life has improved significantly with one simple change of schedule. I’m kicking myself for not thinking of this before and I want to throw this out to you because maybe you can do the same. Energy flows through the path of least resistance, and it all comes down to the structure that is set for that energy.

So take just a few minutes—right now—to analyze the structure of your day. Maybe there’s something you can do to tweak it just a bit that will result in an amazing improvement.

Yep, this is all part of my "identify your unique talents and unfold them to the rest of the world" nag, nag, nag... but can you imagine if we all actually did that? Really, how cool would that be?

10 comments:

KriMonster said...

Glad you're enjoying the new schedule! p.s. there's always time for wieners.

Julie D said...

I actually did this last year. I used to work from 8-4 because I had to get up at 6 and make sure Jordan was up and ready for school and then get myself out of the house by 7:30am in time to fight traffic and take half hour to get to work when it should only take 10 minutes. Ideally if I ever actually got out at 4pm I would have missed traffic but that never seemed to happen.

So when Jordan started his senior year and didn't have to go to school until almost 10am, I changed my start time from 8 to 9. It made a huge difference. I could sleep in a little, get up and read the paper, have some coffee, and leave home at 8:50 for the 10 minute drive to work (because after 8:30 all traffic is gone). I still rarely leave work on time unless the boss is gone, but now at least when I leave around 6'ish there is no traffic and it's another 10 minute drive home.

Carrie Ann said...

Something to think about, thanks. My problem is a little different--I have plenty of unstructured time and am constantly trying to figure out the best way to organize it. Maybe I'm thinking too broadly by looking at the day as a whole. Your idea of focusing on one change might be the way to go.

I Hate to Weight said...

it's amazing how that tweak really changed your life.

i've NEVER understood why people CHOOSE to work the early shift. they seem always over-tired. i've commuted from nj to nyc on many different schedules, and the early birds always look exhausted to me.

now i have to go figure out how to tweak my day.

JeannetteLS said...

Just starting PT and carrying the routine we established into the gym on my own has made a difference. I am NOT fit, nor a fanatic, but I LOVE working out and could not for a whole year. At all. I think that beginning my day with this is clearing my mind in and of itself and offering me some structure at a time of life when I've had most of it taken away. Sometimes I think that changes like the one you made--shifting our routines just a little, introducing ONE new regular activity that we truly enjoy... this can start us toward far bigger changes.

However, I gotta tell you. EVERY damned time I read your blog, in my head a country twang goes, "Oh Linda LOU, honey IS THAT YOU, YEAH Linda LOU..." I know that is not the name in the song, but it doesn't matter. I only thought it fair that I make YOU hear it your head now, too!

raydenzel1 said...

Most of my work days start a 1:00 pm, a closing shift. Yes I get home late, but I get plenty done during the day before work. It is ying and yang . but it works for me most of the time.

Bar L. said...

Sweet. I have so little structure these days but I sure hope things settle down soon.

Unknown said...

I like that idea as well. Now, if only I can find a job then hopefully....

Jamie in PA said...

I work nights. 7p to 7a. 3shifts/week at my full time job, 2 (and sometimes 3) shifts at my casual job every week. Oh, and lets not forget the overtime. BUT, I have started to walk on my treadmill each day. It might be for only 15 mins or it might be longer, but it helps. That and a really good bar of chocolate. LOL!!!

gayle said...

That's wondeful that you can set your hours...wish I could..been thinking about retiring and just wourking part time!!