Saturday, April 3, 2010

The big news: I’ve ended my most successful relationship to date

Yes, after 14 glorious years together, I’ve decided it’s over. It’s not that I’ve had a nagging feeling of dissatisfaction; on the contrary, this relationship has served me so well I'd brag about it to anyone who'd listen. And we haven’t been growing in different directions and are no longer compatible. Nothing like that.

It’s just that sometimes you know in your heart it’s time to move on. I can’t tell you how many people have been advising me to do just that, and for how long, but I’ve been resisting; I’d have no part of it. They’d shake their heads and roll their eyes when I’d insist how happy I was and gush about how well it serves me. And no doubt many will gasp an audible sigh of relief accompanied by an exasperated “Finally!” when I break the news.

Yes, it’s true. My beloved 1996 Saturn and I have parted ways.

And look what I picked up last night: a brand new Scion xD!


How freakin’ cute is this? Just like my Saturn, it’s so me!

Yes, it’ll take a while to get used to remote key entry (is that what it’s called?) and pressing a button instead of rolling down the window. And no more cassette deck (!) or relying on my psychic powers to determine when it needs oil. Everything’s different now.

I had a great buying experience over at Findlay Toyota. Scion, like Saturn, has a no-haggle price policy so you don't feel like you're being ripped off or lacking in negotiation skills. Greg Hadges, a nice New Yorker from New Rochelle, took good care of me. I LOVE my Scion and if you're in Las Vegas and are thinking of buying one, call Findlay Toyota at 566-2000 and ask for Greg. Be sure to tell him I sent you!

It’s funny, I came this close to buying a smaller 2006 Scion xA at Carmax, but I was full of angst all day trying to decide what to do—I was really afraid it would be too small. Then I thought what the hell, just buy the freakin’ thing, and when I picked up my cell phone to call the sales rep there (her name was Mary Harrington—excellent), I saw that I had missed a call from Mike. So I called him first, and he talked me out of getting a used car, saying I’d be much better off with something new. He was right—because of the preferable new car interest rate, the payments are actually lower. And now I have a bigger, brand-new vehicle. Good move and excellent twist of fate.

The best part of all this is I can move on guilt-free; my beloved Saturn is going to a good home. I sold it for $300 to my 25-year-old BFF from work, J.P., so it’s staying in the family and I’ll still get to see it. He’s psyched to have it, and we had a laugh when I handed him a three-inch folder of maintenance records (most all preventive!).


Like the old Neil Young song goes, "Long May You Run."

So yeah, my beloved Saturn was the latest casualty of Purgefest 2010, this cleansing kick I’m on. “Sticking my finger down the throat of life” is what I believe I called it.

And I’m not done yet…

12 comments:

Unknown said...

Congratulations on your new relationship. He's pretty cute!

At least you haven't kicked the Saturn to the curb completely. You'll still be able to keep in touch.

Bar L. said...

Congrats! I will admit I am shocked, I know how attached you were. I am proud of you for letting go and thrilled that she will stay in the family! The new vehicle is ADORABLE (just like you)

Julie D said...

You cougar. Dumping the old faithful for a younger, newer model.

That's my girl, I'm so proud! LOL

As one who has ridden in your Saturn, I can attest to the fact that it was a precious little car that did everything you needed it to do and then some. Long may she run.

Can't wait to see the new car and go for a cruise down the Strip! I'll be there in 42 days! Yay!!!

Fragrant Liar said...

Hey, hey! Congrats on the new wheels. I bet you look quite fine behind the wheel. Long may she ride!

Lorna said...

You have a way of making everything fun, you know that? You made me smile with your new car, and it IS so YOU! Sassy, sexy and not afraid to speak out. You go, Linda Lou!

Hurricane Mikey said...

I'll come over and show you where the dipstick and the oil filler cap is. Not that you'll ever do anything with that knowledge, but I want to do my part...

gayle said...

Congrats on the new car!! It's one of my favorite things to do!!

Anonymous said...

Congrats! What a cutie;o)

(And what a cliffhanger to write in your previous post about..."the latest casualty of Purgefest 2010.")
You really had me wondering...;o)

Unknown said...

It's sexy. Just like you! Congrats! Can I be part of purgefest?

Donna B. said...

C-O-N-G-R-A-D-U-L-A-T-I-O-N-S!!!!!
Onward and upward...let the purging begin!! xoxo Nice pic of Courtney...Wish my daughter would allow me to post one of her...

Carol said...

Oh Linda, I thought your big news was you had just bought a plane ticket to Australia, for a much needed holiday. Maybe that is next on your list :)

Carol
Perth

PS. Nice car

Tara said...

YAY for you! I really like it! I was thinking about a new car this weekend when mine rolled over 125,000 miles...