Sunday, November 7, 2010

Just a mere four hours from Vegas

We're waking up today in a gorgeous Springhill Suites in Prescott, Arizona.  Seriously, this room is the best yet, with not one, but two flat screens--one in the bedroom and one in the sitting area.  I love a good hotel!


We rode into town last night around 7:30 or so.  Mom and I were here about 12 years ago--and stayed at this same hotel--when we made a loop through Phoenix, Scottsdale, Sedona and Jerome.  I remember thinking Prescott would be a really nice place to live, so I'm eager to see it in the light of day.

OMG, yesterday was awesome.  We woke up in Sorocco, New Mexico, which I'll always remember as the place where Mom tried to turn on the TV with her cell phone. (She's a never ending source of material!)  Instead of driving up I-25 to Albuquerque and picking up I-40, we decided to take the back roads.


Back roads take a little longer, but that's where you're more likely to find the cool roadside attractions.  We stumbled upon this cute little pie shop in... Pie Town, New Mexico!  Of course we had to stop and have a piece of pie, and OMG, we all agreed it was the absolute best we ever had. 


Believe it or not, the only other business in Pie Town was ANOTHER PIE SHOP!  That was it.  Too funny.

We made our way across New Mexico and central Arizona, enjoying the scenery every mile of the way.



Our destination for the day was The Spirit Room Bar in the Connor Hotel in Jerome, Arizona.  Yep, we dragged Mom to another biker bar!



I swear, this is one of my absolute favorite places on earth.  If you don't have a good time there, you might as well call it quits. 


The music is always fabulous--bluesy roots rock and roll--and everyone gets on the dance floor.  And I do mean everybody-- old people, young people, lesbians, a guy with Down syndrome, a woman in a wheelchair... hell, even Mom got on the dance floor!



Oh, what a fantastic place that is! 

So today is our last day on the road.  Prescott is probably less than four hours from Las Vegas, but you know us--it'll take us a good part of the day to get there. We're explorers.  But in a way, I can't wait to get there.  There's a hunk of man I can't wait to get my hands on.  Giggity.

5 comments:

Fragrant Liar said...

Oh man! You're really making me nostalgic for the land of my birth! I'm an Arizona girl, if you didn't know. My favorite places on earth include Sedona, Prescott and Flagstaff. Jerome is a hoot! I always thought I'd either retire in the Arizona mountains or Florida, and seeing how the economy is so suck-ass here in Florida, I'm rethinking my choice . . . But I do need a road trip, and I haven't seen the high desert in a few years. Maybe it's time?

Love that you got your mama out on the dance floor. So cool! And how funny is it that she used her cell phone for a remote? (I know one day soon I will do the same thing...). Hope your trip to Vegas continues to be a gas. :-)

raydenzel1 said...

save me a spot next time!

Courtney Blackwell said...

All I have to say is: I LOVE OUR FAMILY!!

There aren't many Great Grannies out there that can bust a move on a biker bar dance floor! Connor & Hazey are so proud of their GG!

Thank goodness we have such a wonderful, fun family and not some farty, annoying one. Yay for awesome genes! (and jeans, he he)

LOVE YOU!!

Laurie NZ said...

Awesome! Soooo happy to be related to such fab chicks! ;-D

Donna B. said...

Maybe you can suggest some good dance spots for Jerry and I... Now that he is retired, I hope for us to resume the dancing fun we enjoyed when I first met him! We will be home on the 10th....