Tuesday, December 21, 2010

It's time to rejoice, so rejoice already!

I'm leaving for Albany this afternoon on the 4:35 flight.  I can't wait to see my family. It's been over 7 weeks since I left there; I imagine I'll see a big change in baby Hazel.   

Last week my adorable blogger friend and new author, Mandy, of Mandy's Life After 30, started a new blog post with this:
So many wonderful things are happening lately. I'm a bit afraid to talk about them here, scared that I may somehow jinx them from coming true.
I'm feeling the exact same way these days.  My kids are doing well--their band, The Blackwell Sinners, just did a live set on WRPI last Saturday and had a gig on Sunday.



I'm feeling my own creativity coming back, too; I've even started to work on my next book (thanks to a few of you who gave me the nudge I needed) and I've done three sets of comedy in the past couple of weeks.  My job situation is awesome; I love working from home (and how lucky I am that "home" is Las Vegas) and my boss and co-workers are a freakin' blast.  I can't wait to see them tomorrow when I'm back to raising hell in the cube farm.  And on top of all that, I am so jump-on-Oprah's couch in love, it's almost too much to bear. 

But isn't it nutty that we're almost afraid to acknowledge our happiness when things are going our way, for fear that we'll jinx ourselves, as Mandy said?  That's insane.  Life has its ups and downs; there's a natural ebb and flow to the universe.  How crazy are we to refrain from basking in the joy of the good times because we're afraid our celebration will trigger the onset of a pile of shit dropping into our lives?

Last week I had a mammogram.  I swear, I was going mental thinking wouldn't it just figure that right now when life is so awesome that it would come back with a problem?  Yep, breast cancer (which can suck you know what) is on both sides of my family and every time I turn around another friend or acquaintance is putting up the cancer fight so wouldn't it just figure the C word would tap me on the shoulder right when I'm at the top of the ferris wheel? And during a time when I'm actually kind of at peace with my hair?

Thank God the mammo came back fine, but seriously, I was driving myself insane. 

Let's not do this to ourselves, huh?  Let's just rejoice when times are good.  So go rejoice!

10 comments:

Emmas_Gold said...

I used to be timid about basking in life when it was good. But now, I grab it and run with it! I am also madly in love (and I'd jump all over anyone's couch to declare it!) and I am happier than I've been in YEARS. Yeah, bad stuff still happens, but I just react differently now. My world has really opened up over the past two years...and I'm just nuts over it! (But "nuts" in a good way, not a scary way. At least, I think so.)
Can't wait to see you when you get back!
xoxo
Liz

Julie D said...

OMG, I so feel you on this one sister. I'm the same way. I need to live in the moment and not worry what the next day holds! Especially when it comes to my love life....

Have a safe trip back home!

Detroiter said...

Thats it Linda, why can't people ever be just happy. you know, that happy,happy,joy,joy of our youth...hehe. anyway, here's to just walking around with a smile on your face. Det11

Anonymous said...

Just last year I was enjoying my birthday. I'm glad I did because it was the last time I was truly happy. Then the next day, we took her to the doctor for more tests...again & she took a turn for the worse. My little girl was gone by the end of the week. I miss her so much and the pain never goes away. I never stop thinking about her. What happens when we die? A lot of people will just say stuff to make you feel better, lots of wishful positive thinking, quote Bible verses at you...but the truth is: No one really knows what happens. I'd just give anything to hold her in my arms one more time. That's all I ever truly had.

Anonymous said...

Every time ANY test of mine comes back fine, I figure I dodged another bullet and bought some time.

gayle said...

I have a hard time when things are going well to not think about what ifs!

Unknown said...

I'm with you on that Linda Lou! Although I'm not jumping on Oprah's couch in love, I pray that each day is better than the last.

I don't believe in "jinx".

Mandy said...

Awww, thank you for the shout-out my friend! I loved your "pile of shit" comment too by the way. I can picture that dropping out of the sky on us all, like a bad thunderstorm in the south. LOL. But yeah, you're right! I will definitely try to rejoice in my happiness and gloat until I make myself and others around me sick!

Congrats to us both on our success and happiness! Let's hope it continues!

Anonymous said...

So glad to hear things are going to well for you! Life is good here. Merry Christmas girlie!

gogorach said...

I'm so happy things are good with you! Have safe travels and a wonderful holiday.