Wednesday, April 27, 2011

Once again, I'm back to reality

I had a fantastic visit in Albany, despite 11 straight days of rain and clouds.  Man, I could never live in a climate like Seattle or Portland.  I'm mental enough on a sunny day.  Of course, the sun came out full force just as I was boarding my plane home.

Thanks to my grandson, Connor, for guest blogging on Saturday.  We had a ball on our trip to Vermont.  Fortunately, the "99 Bottles of Beer on the Wall" song was short-lived, though I was treated to a Weird Al repertoire for hours on end each way.  It's amazing what you'll put up with for your grandchildren.  If my kids subjected me to that, I would have been screaming, "Enough of that goddamn Weird Al!" but since he's my precious grandson, I was totally nice.  It wasn't until we were nearly home that I sweetly asked, "Do you have any other music, Connor?  Weird Al's getting to be a little 'Jimmy Cracked Corn,' if you know what I mean." 

Of course, he knew what I meant and if you've seen Pee Wee's Big Adventure, you know the reference, too.  Unfortunately, my comment inspired him to sing "Jimmy Cracked Corn" at the top of his lungs just like the hobo on the train in the movie, so my request totally backfired.  But because he's my grandson, that little voice of his is just so charming and endearing.

Are you gagging yet?

Speaking of gagging, the crap I let him eat on our trip!  (Check out the picture in Saturday's post.)  And the crap I ate, too.  At 1:30 Sunday afternoon he talked me into stopping at Dunkin Donuts in South Burlington, the same Dunkin Donuts we visited when we pulled into town on Saturday afternoon.  A got a couple of donuts for Connor and when the girl at the counter asked if I wanted anything, I was like, "Well, let's see.  So far today I've had a piece of leftover pizza, a cookie, some pretzels, and a bagel with cream cheese... yeah, give me one of those chocolate frosted things." 

Disgusting.  So this morning I weighed in at 140, which means I gained back all the weight I lost since I was last in Albany back in January.  Oh, by "all the weight," I mean "two and a half pounds."  Big deal, huh?  I could give up beer, but Jesus H, that's a quality of life issue, you know?

Anyway, it's great to be back with my man here in Vegas.  Mike had the house immaculate when I got home, and even color coordinated the hangers in our closet.  (How do you spell OCD?)  (We are a match made in heaven) 

I have lots more to tell you, but reality is calling.  More tomorrow...

2 comments:

I Hate to Weight said...

of course, guess what topic i jump to -- weight. i fluctuate 3 or 4 pounds every day -- so maybe you just have a little water retention or something from the extra salt they put on road-trip food.

quality of life is key.

and it seems like fabulous Mike definetely adds to yours.

enjoy!

J said...

Glad you had a safe trip back!