Tuesday, August 23, 2011

Welcome to my world

Last night we were up till freakin' 2 o'clock in the morning arranging the formal living room.  And I do mean formal, people.  Remember last Thursday's post when I told you about the very significant differences in Mike's and my taste in home decor?  Southwest meets medieval Gothic?  Well, here's a glimpse of how one room came together.

I call this the "I'm sorry for your loss corner."  Just position a pleasantly somber man in a suit nearby and replace the kids' pictures with a sign-in book and we've got a scene straight from Six Feet Under.


My contribution to this corner is the Southwest hand.  Mike had to settle for a baby grand piano only because he couldn't find an operational harpsichord.


"Gomez, darling, would you light the candelabra?"


We had to rub my fake dog Stiff's nose in his fake poop for this one.  Really, Stiff?  Next to Joan of Arc?


Somehow it all comes together.  I keep telling Mike we need some color in here, but he insists that beige is a color.


And now for something completely different...

The guest room, designed by Linda Lou and Mike's 6-year-old daughter.  (His kids call this "the cool room."  Duh.)  Yeah, that's a shag area rug.  Yeah, that's a papasan chair.  Yeah, that's a blow-up bed.  You can't see my collection of crystals from this angle, but they're there.  Okay, maybe I'm a little stuck in the 70s, but at least it's the 1970s, not the 70s of the fifteenth century.

Mike is a saint, I tell you.  I tease him about his taste, but God knows it's classier than mine.


My grandson Connor will be sleeping there tonight--yay!  He arrives at 4:10 today.  I cannot wait.  Good thing his biological clock will be set three time zones ahead of ours--I think it's going to be an early night.  I'm exhausted!

12 comments:

raydenzel1 said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Lisa Gioia-Acres said...

Funny! The major differences between you two will keep on coming. Hope you keep your sense of humor. When is the housewarming party?

raydenzel1 said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Debra Lynn Shelton said...

Ah, home sweet home. Enjoy!!!

Unknown said...

So cool to see you blend your tastes!

Tender Heart Bear said...

I see what you are talking about with the first picture. I do agree with you on that one. Now I understand what you are talking about with the difference between the two of you. I does seem like things are coming together with what you both have. The main thing is the two of you are happy together. I wouldn't worry about the things you have together but what you mean to each other.

Julie D said...

It looks great! Can't wait to see it in person! In....28 days! Wooohooo!

Sous-Chef said...

Any room with a book shelf has to be labeled as a cool/kewl room. Opps is my professional bias showing again ;-) Enjoy your time with Connor.

Liz said...

I think it looks great! A little color (besides beige) would be nice but it's certainly "doable." It's fun to see your differences and how you've come together despite (or maybe because of) them.

I do have to say that I read this blog yesterday and had a dream about knights last night. Strange. . .

Vegas Linda Lou said...

@ Lisa: If I lose my sense of humor, I'm in BIG trouble!

@ THB: You're right--as long as we're happy together, who cares about the stinkin' furniture? Well, I do... but it's more important that we're happy together.

@ Liz: Wait till I post some pictures of the swords!

Mimi said...

Love your formal sitting room, Linda!
And talk about a trip down nostalgia lane with the guest room!!
Anyway, your place is really coming together, must be very exciting deciding where everything will go, in your mansion (it is a mansion to me anyway)

Lori Biker said...

I am glad I got one more visit in before the gob move but the house looks great. I noticed you didn't post any pics of the kitchen. Does the house have a kitchen? Were you able to merge your things in with Mike's in the kitchen?