Thursday, May 31, 2012

Roller coaster of emotions these days

How many times have you heard me say, "The universe unfolds in divine order"?  To the point of being annoying, no doubt.  Sometimes I even annoy myself with that shit.  I do believe it, though.

Every year I go up to Boise for Mother's Day, but this year I decided to wait until the following weekend.  It just worked out better that way.  As it turned out, I was there when Mom had the hypertensive crisis, and thank God for that.  Stepdaddy is awesome, but he is hard of hearing and so it was a good thing I was around to answer questions for the medical personnel and hear what they had to say about my mother's condition.

Originally, I was supposed to return to Vegas last Wednesday.  But brilliant me--I booked a flight to Boise using frequent flyer points and then booked another one-way flight from Vegas to Boise.  Yeah, like two flights to Boise, but none coming home.  DUH.  I noticed I screwed up a few days before my trip, but I couldn't get a Wednesday flight, so I booked my return for Thursday.

That allowed me to stay for the Wednesday night open mic at the Liquid Laughs comedy club, and then when I won the contest and got the chance to open for the headliner the next night, I changed my flight again, so I left on Friday.  That worked out because Mom was discharged from the hospital on Thursday, so I was around an extra day to make sure she was back to normal at home.

Mom is doing well, but unfortunately, she won't be able to fly back east for my son's wedding in a few weeks.  That's really too bad, but her doctor would like her to stay close to home right now, and no one's going to argue with that.

I am so happy for my precious son, Christopher.  The woman he is marrying is a gem; I couldn't have picked a better person for my boy.  They are truly meant for each other. Adorable together.

Chris and beautiful Ketti
Getting back to the divine unfolding, my contract on my tech writing job was over at the beginning of the month, which is freeing me up to spend a couple of weeks in Albany after the wedding.  I'm going to stay there until my grandson, Connor, gets out of school, then we'll fly back to Vegas together (hopefully, I won't screw up on the flights this time).  Connor will stay here until July 1 and we'll get that dreaded Disneyland trip in while he's visiting.

But I really, really need that time in Albany.  One of my dearest friends, whom I've known for over 40 years, became seriously ill last week with acute renal failure.  The day after my mother got out of the hospital, he went in.  The road to recovery is going to be long and could involve a transplant.  His wife is also one of my best friends, and I just can't wait to get back there so I can see both of them with my own two eyes and help however I can.  I'm warning you now, if anything happens to him, I will be a mental case.

So it's good that the company I was working for didn't have the budget to renew my contract right now.  I need to be there for my friends.  And thank God we have a joyous occasion to celebrate--I'm afraid I'll be crying tears of joy throughout the whole wedding ceremony.  It all seems to come together.  So maybe even something awesome will happen in Disneyland.

8 comments:

~Coach said...

If you can't find some material to use from Disneyland then you're not trying... ;)

raydenzel1 said...

a whirlwind of emotions. That is a lot to go through for anyone. Tears of joy, tears of sadness, tears of relief.

Liz said...

Linda - I've been too busy at work to catch up on blog reading until today.
First, I'm glad your Mom is doing better! I hope she takes your "advice" and loses some weight to help her health.
Second, congrats to your son and his soon to be bride! How exciting for you all.
Third, I'll keep your friends in my thoughts and prayers. I hope that all goes well for him and he recovers fully.
Fourth, Disney isn't THAT bad. Just avoid the birds and you'll be OK. :-)

Vegas Linda Lou said...

@ Coach: Hahaha! I needed those words of wisdom!

@ Ray: It is a lot, and these emotions are wiping me out.

@ Liz: Define "THAT." And thanks for your good thoughts. XOXO

Tender Heart Bear said...

I am really glad to hear that your mom is doing better and that she is home. That is really good news.

Congratulations to your son. I hope him and his wife to be will be real happy together.

I know what you are talking about with disneyland. I hope you, Mike and all the kids have a good time together there.

I pray your friend gets better soon. Our prayers are with him and his family!

Vegas Linda Lou said...

Thank you, Tender Heart! XOXO

Bar L. said...

I remind myself often that events and the timing of events is for my good even when I can't see it at the moment.

Great to hear you lost your job (for now) and are able to be where your heart needs to be!

JT88Keys said...

I'm with you on the whole "the universe unfolds in divine order" thing. My wife is the eternal glass is half empty person and I'm the eternal glass is half full. I'm like Henslowe in Shakespeare in Love:

"Strangely enough, it always turns out well."

"How?"

"I don't know. It's a mystery."

It's taken 20+ years of marriage, but I'm finally making a believer out of her. Too many coincidences like the one with your mom. Glad she's okay now.