Most of all, I need to secure my next "day job" gig. I'm lucky that I have two areas of expertise--technical writing and corporate training--but the job market in Las Vegas is still sucking out loud and there aren't a ton of telecommuting jobs out there.
If you hear of something (either writing or training), let me know! I'm looking for any of the following:
- A short or long-term contract job here in Las Vegas
- A telecommuting job that would allow me to work at home
- A job that requires a lot of travel, with a home base in my office at home
- A regular employee-type job in Vegas, if the company is cool and I don't have to work with assholes
- A short-term contract job anywhere in the world, if the company will pay expenses (GE put me up in a hotel for 2 years when I worked for them.)
- A short-term contract job in Albany or Boise, and I'll pay my own expenses
Believe it or not, people are sometimes surprised to hear that I "have" to work. They understand that I can't live on the money I make from book sales or comedy, but think that because my husband retired in his late 30s (computers), somehow that impacts me. Not so. I pay toward the rent, buy some of the groceries, and when we take trips, etc., we each pay our own way. (I nearly shed a tear forking out money for Disney.) As some of you know, in second (or in our case, third) marriages where you each have your own sets of kids, it's best to keep things separate.
Anyway, fingers crossed that I find something soon. I have expensive taste in beer, and you don't want me to have to start drinking Coors Light.
Enjoy the 4th!