Tuesday, July 3, 2012

Vacation's over, I'm networking today

After three and a half weeks in vacation mode, I've gone to hell with myself, packing on some pounds like I'm the next Bridget Jones.  It's time to buckle down and get back to reality.  I need to get back to my low carb approach to eating, which totally went down the shitter while I traveled from Maine to California, and get back to faithfully replying to comments here on my blog.  (I was doing so well for a while...)

Most of all, I need to secure my next "day job" gig.  I'm lucky that I have two areas of expertise--technical writing and corporate training--but the job market in Las Vegas is still sucking out loud and there aren't a ton of telecommuting jobs out there.

If you hear of something (either writing or training), let me know!  I'm looking for any of the following:
  • A short or long-term contract job here in Las Vegas
  • A telecommuting job that would allow me to work at home
  • A job that requires a lot of travel, with a home base in my office at home
  • A regular employee-type job in Vegas, if the company is cool and I don't have to work with assholes
  • A short-term contract job anywhere in the world, if the company will pay expenses (GE put me up in a hotel for 2 years when I worked for them.)
  • A short-term contract job in Albany or Boise, and I'll pay my own expenses
Of course, I fancy myself as being a friggin' blast to work with.  That goes without saying, right?

Believe it or not, people are sometimes surprised to hear that I "have" to work.  They understand that I can't live on the money I make from book sales or comedy, but think that because my husband retired in his late 30s (computers), somehow that impacts me.  Not so.  I pay toward the rent, buy some of the groceries, and when we take trips, etc., we each pay our own way.  (I nearly shed a tear forking out money for Disney.)  As some of you know, in second (or in our case, third) marriages where you each have your own sets of kids, it's best to keep things separate.

Anyway, fingers crossed that I find something soon. I have expensive taste in beer, and you don't want me to have to start drinking Coors Light.

Enjoy the 4th!

7 comments:

~Coach said...

Good luck and find a job for me Linda - any job... :)

Mimi said...

Lol so long as you don't have to work with assholes!!
And I would say you are a friggin' blast to work with, actually a laugh a minute but still getting the work done.
Best of luck with the jobhunt, and Happy 4th!! I'm on the low carb wagon too, cos I went to hell in the last couple of months.

Tender Heart Bear said...

Good luck in the job hunting. I know how hard it is out there to find a good job.

Happy 4th to all of you!♥

lightning36 said...

And I remember when everyone east of the Mississippi wanted Coors ...

Anonymous said...

I think there's a 24 hour Del Taco hiring...perhaps you could give it a try!

Vegas Linda Lou said...

@ Coach: Thanks, and good luck to you, too!

@ Mimi: Yup, working with assholes is out of the question. I know what you mean--we all go to hell once in a while.

@ THB: Thank you! You are sweet.

@ lightning 36: You're right--Coors Light was my drink for years. But "once you go black..."

@ Anonymous: Let's hope it doesn't get to that point...

Other Mikey's Julie said...

Ahahahahahaha! That would be rock bottom for sure! I have a feeling the next big opportunity is just around the corner. You seem to have one of those positive personalities that attracts good fortune. Can't wait to hear about whatever it happens to be.