Thursday, November 15, 2012

Make it a point to have FUN!!!

Yesterday during our weekly meeting my comedy coach, Michael Parise, remarked, "You're always happy.  No matter what you have going on, you seem to be positive."

Okay, you know and I know that I'm picky, picky, picky and in a nearly perpetual state of annoyance (don't get me going about people who talk in the movie theater) (or even breathe too loudly), but yeah--overall, he's right. I've always been a happy person.  I don't know about when I was a little girl--I imagine I was happy--but I can definitely remember a kid coming up to me in Hackett Junior High School and giving me an exaggerated smile right in my face, mocking my own expression.  I can only conclude that I must have been walking around looking pretty happy without realizing it, which evidently displeased my schoolmate.

I think I get happier the older I get.  Maybe because I have more of an appreciation for everything and everybody I have in my life. Not in that order, of course.  I know one thing:  I'm so appreciative of my health.  I've said before that if you wake up in the morning, can walk to the bathroom and see yourself in the mirror, and then take a proper piss and shit... well, you have nothing to complain about.  (Since my Bell's Palsy experience in September, I should say, "see yourself blinking in the mirror.")


I agree with the Dali Lama's statement above. I'll even go further to say that the purpose of life is to HAVE FUN, and no matter what I do, I try to find the fun in it.  Like Mary Poppins said, "For every job that must be done, there is an element of fun. You find the fun and snap! the job's a game."  Okay, that might not apply to everything--God knows I've done some time in cubicles where, trust me, there was no friggin' fun to be had.  But if we think HAPPY and think FUN, I believe we're more apt to experience it. 

So, let's do this.  Right now, make a list of five fun things that you love to do.  Be specific--don't just say "travel," say where you like to travel to and what you like to do when you're there.  If you come up with more than five things, that's awesome.

Take a look at the list you just created.  I bet that most of the things on your list cost little to no money.  When is the last time you've done any of them?

Now go through the contacts on your cell phone and make a list of all the people you have fun with. Who are your most positive friends, the ones who crack you up?  When did you last spend some time with them? I bet it's been too long.

So make a plan. Pick a fun activity to do with a fun person and make a definite plan.  Put it on your calendar in ink.  This will give you something to look forward to, and just the thought of it will make you happy.

Let's make a conscious choice to have more fun--it shouldn't be something that happens just once in a while, almost by mistake.  Plan for fun, expect fun.  Fun makes for a happy life. And that, not the Hokey Pokey, is what it's all about.

Hey, comment away!  I took the pain-in-the-ass word verification off--I know it really was annoying. I'll probably get spammed a lot, but this will make it a lot easier to comment.

7 comments:

Mimi said...

Absolutely!

Memphis MOJO said...

One thing I love to do (and it's free) is take my camera and go on a photo walk.

Memphis MOJO said...

Can I make a suggestion? Since you have blog owner approval enabled, could you disable the thing that makes us squint and try to guess what word and number are in the box? The two duplicate each other.

~Coach said...

Why we get along is a big mystery... ;)

Taradharma said...

excellent, brilliant suggestions my friend!

I like to watch movies - good ones anyway.

I love to eat food - good food that is.

I love to sit in hot tubs with friends and float and laugh.

There is more...but now I've got to get to my cell phone!

kkerin said...

Love this post - so true!!

Lori Biker said...

In pen, December 26, 12:30am I will be having a blast with one of my very favorite people when i pick her up at the airport!!!!! YIPPEE!!!