Tuesday, July 5, 2016

Leaving the "love palace" and ready for a change!

It's been so long since I've written on my blog--almost two and a half years--I've almost forgotten how to work this thing. And who knows, maybe this will be my last post for another two and a half years.  Or ever.  I hope not.

We're leaving the "love palace" at the end of the month.  Mike's kids moved to New Jersey with their mom in June of last year and it's taken us this long to conclude that 4000 square feet for only two people is a wee bit on the crazy side. So we're downsizing to 2700 square feet, which is still more than double the size of the house I grew up in on Lincoln Avenue in Albany and shared with four siblings, two parents, and a dog.

Our next stop, and I can hardly say this with a straight face, will be Sun City Anthem, a 55+ community just up the hill from where we are now.  Yes, it's come to this. If you've ever been through a 55+ community, you may have noticed the average age is actually more like 65+. Or 75+.  Or whatever, all I know is I'm gonna look like a friggin' supermodel strutting around the pool at the community center. Okay, yeah, I said it.

Seriously, that place really appeals to me. For one, "active adults" are generally pretty well behaved, and the older I get, the more I appreciate people who mind their manners. Yeah, I said that, too. Also, it will be nice to have someone else take care of the pool.  Keeping our pool clean now is a Sisyphean task--one day it can be pristine and then a good wind and rain storm will turn it into a Louisiana swamp. (First-world problem, I know.)

Mostly I am eager to plug into the dance and yoga classes they offer, and make good use of their beautiful exercise facilities. Plus they have their own TV station and a performance arts group that I want to get involved with. I never thought I'd say this, but can't wait to see what it will be like to be a part of this community.

Of course, we could hate it.  But that's the beauty of renting.  Whatev.  We'll move on. Right now I'm psyched.  We're purging, getting rid of crap that doesn't bring us joy.  Making room for new energy.

Just the thought of this change of scenery is stimulating my creativity, which has been in the SHITTER for a couple of years now. I haven't written a goddamn thing except resumes and proposals, and I'm at that age where one by one my friends are turning 60 and some are even dying. I want to write another book, maybe a screenplay, do more speaking, direct more energy to comedy... and the most ironic thing is, in my day job all I do is tell people to follow their dreams.  And at the end of the day, I'm too tired to work on my own freakin' dreams!

Along with this move, I want simplicity.  Less stuff.  More saying "no."  More time.

Jane Fonda refers to 60 as the beginning of "life's third act."  This is where it all comes together, she says, and we become who we were meant to be, hopefully culminating in a satisfying conclusion. Well, I'm getting ready to script that third act and it's going to be amazing.

Stay tuned.

14 comments:

Tara said...

Brava!!! I think it's a great idea, Linda. A new chapter. It does feel great to unload all that unnecessary crapola. And, yes, you will be the new sex bomb in town. Be super nice to the ladies, because they may hate you until they get to know you, if you know what I mean.

Can't wait to hear how the tale unfolds....

Unknown said...

Yay! I'm excited for you and Mike. Great to read your blog again. xoxo

grrouchie said...

I feel ya lady. Glad you took the time to write this though. Maybe get you back in the saddle

lightning36 said...

Well, your resume does say "Prolific blogger with international following." Not sure what you would say if you posted a tad more frequently. : o )

Vegas Linda Lou said...

Good catch! It's been so long since I've been on here, I really need to update that page!

Loribiker said...

Here we go! I am psyched you are blogging again. I know there will be more. We all will be on this journey with you now. Thanks for bringing us along..XOXO!

crafty said...

Mazel Tov, as my people are wont to say. The best of wishes for a smooth move from hither to thither. One question: will you change your banner to something snarky, like "Linda Lou, Live from Heaven's Waiting Room?" If you do I swear I'll give you five bucks.

I Hate to Weight said...

It sounds like a spa! I love this. Glad to see you blogging. As always, you are such an inspiration.

Looking forward to seeing all kinds of creative output from you!!!!!!!!!

Carrie said...

So happy to hear that you are going to start writing again. Can't wait for the sequel! We had an Anthem in Arizona and they are a great neighborhood with excellent maintenance. You will love it. Hey, old people can be fun too! I just turned 74 and still having a good time! Just think of the material that become available....

Michelle Durand-Adams said...

I know exactly how you feel. Mark and I sold our home of 21 years one year ago this month. We bought a town home just five miles away. I still grieve for the home where we raised our children and the wonderful neighbors who were there with us the entire time. Having said that, life is so much easier. We purged, cleaned out (I can't believe how much stuff we had collected over the years!!) and moved on. I love the freedom. We still see our former neighbors and we're making new friends here. Life is good. Now... thanks to your blog post, I'm feeling like I have to have new goals for this final act. I've always wanted to be in a band... do you think it's too late to take up an instrument? Ha!

writerstricksofthetrade.blogspot.com said...

I know what you mean about having too much space and possessions that you haven't seen in years and have no further need for. I'm also going to be downsizing soon. My youngest son moved to New Jersey ten years ago (Audubon)and things change. I'm glad to see that you and Mike are making moves to have a lifestyle you want. Anthem is lovely. I have friends living in various communities there. Let's not lose touch. You are a brilliant writer, filled with humor, and I hope to see much more from you. By the way, there is also a very active writers club in Anthem. I gave a presentation for them recently.

TAD said...

Welcome back, good luck to you, and thanks for the inspiration. Looking forward to the updates.

Brett said...

Does this mean no more big parties?

ps I'm single again so would like to visit and perhaps meet someone closer to my age...

Anonymous said...

Just the thought of this change of scenery is stimulating my creativity, which has been in the SHITTER for a couple of years now. I haven't written a goddamn thing except resumes and proposals"

I'm not the only one to observe that by your own words you were creative when you were blogging.