Saturday, July 19, 2008

God loves everyone, even the apolitical

Last Sunday night one of my dear friends hosted a gathering at her house. A political gathering. Representatives from Barack Obama's campaign were there to answer questions and, of course, promote his run for presidency.

I should say that I have long sworn off Tupperware, Mary Kay, Pampered Chef, and every other type of home party where attendees are expected to do anything but... party. But I hadn't seen my friend in a while and I really wanted to give her a hug, and so I went.

The Obama folks were nice enough, and the short video they played really was inspiring. Afterward they asked everyone in the group to share their reasons for coming out and offering their support. I panicked a bit, wondering what the hell I'd come up with. When my turn came, I simply told the truth: "I know nothing about politics. I'm only half kidding when I say Tony Blair was a lot funnier when he was in Monty Python."

To their credit, there was no collective gasp of horror, and a few well-meaning folks tried to ease me into a discussion. But I just sat there wishing we could talk about something interesting, like Brad and Angelina's newborn twins.

It's amazing how unapologetic I am for my lack of political convictions. Yes, I do vote, and I realize how lucky I am that my life is going so well that I don't feel compelled to get involved. But not everybody has to be a political activist, though I sure am glad some people have that calling. Just as I'm glad that some people are called to be nurses or garbage men—where would we be without them? But as noble as they are, those professions aren't for everybody.

It's not that I totally don't give a shit; I do. Maybe for me, politics is like religion. Just as I have my own way of connecting with God, or the Universe, or whatever the hell you want to call it, I have my own way of trying to make the world a better place. Really, I do care.

And I also care about Brad and Angelina's twins. But, oy! Those names!

No comments: