I know we’re supposed to live in the present moment, but I also like to look forward to stuff. Planning for the future brings me joy in the present—is it okay to frame it like that? Let me tell you about some of the things I’m looking forward to right now, and this just gets me through the rest of the month.
1. Tonight: Mike and I are seeing comedian Robert Schimmel at the Riveria (!). The promo says, “He had a heart attack, got cancer, had his television series cancelled before it began, met his soul mate, lost his wife when she found out about the soul mate, got divorced, lost a house, got remarried... though not necessarily in that order.” Sounds good to me; I've never seen him live. Before the show, we’re going to catch a band at the Sand Dollar called Koolpop and the Groove Masters. I don’t think I’ve seen them before, either, but their poster says they play blues, funk, soul, and Motown, so how can we go wrong? Kudos to the Sand Dollar for starting the live music at 7:30!
2. Tomorrow night: I’ve been looking forward to The Golden Globes (oh, how I love red carpet season!) and with my hero Ricky Gervais as the host, well, I’m just beside myself. But I’ll have to record the show because tomorrow night I’m going out with my dear friend Paul. For those of you who’ve read my book, he’s the Vietnam vet who picked me up for our first date not with flowers in hand, but a pamphlet detailing his chronic mental illness. Paul moved to Thailand several years ago and I haven’t seen him in quite a while, so I’m really looking forward to reconnecting. If you haven’t read my book (and why haven’t you???), you can read about Paul in this Veteran’s Day blog post.
3. This coming week: This week I hope to catch both the Henderson Writers Group’s weekly meeting on Monday and the Las Vegas Writers Group meeting on Thursday. The HWG is a 100-member critique group and sponsor of the annual Las Vegas Writers Conference held every April. The LVWG and has a speaker each month and is a great forum for networking with other writers. If you’re a writer in the Las Vegas valley, why not check these out? Don’t be shy or intimated—these groups are open to writers of all levels of experience. Shoot me an email at email@example.com if you have any questions about these groups or want more info about the conference.
4. Next Saturday night: Harpzilla 2010 at King Tut’s, sponsored by the Las Vegas Blues Society. Mike and I went to this last year and my sister Lori was also town, so you know we had a good old time drinkin’ beer and shootin’ pool and enjoying kick-ass harmonica-power blues. The music goes from 9 p.m. to 3 p.m. and trust me, this is going to be a freakin’ blast. If you live here in Vegas, you won’t want to miss it.
5. January 27 and 29: previews of MY SHOW!!! Holy crap, it’s becoming a reality. I met with Joe Lowers last night; we’ve set these two preview dates and the show will officially open February 17. It’s going to run Wednesday through Saturday at 7:00 at the Alexis Park Resort on Harmon, across from the Hard Rock. They have a great showroom and I’m incredibly psyched to have this opportunity. More details to come as we get closer to the date.
I shouldn’t even think beyond the end of the month right now, but I have so many other things to look forward to, especially in mid-April when that new grandbaby’s due to arrive. (That sounds so sexy, huh?)
Courtney and John have decided they’d rather not know the answer to the girl-or-boy question until it gets here, and they’re not sharing the names they’ve picked out, either. Makes it all the more exciting!
Here she is at Christmas, eating for two. (She'll probably kill me for posting that!)
How about you? What are you looking forward to?
Did you know the sex of your baby beforehand, or was it a surprise?
Have a great weekend!