Wednesday, November 3, 2010

Images of Mississippi

Quick post before we hit the road this morning.  I still have to tell you about our experience at the incredible Rattlesnake Saloon, but in the meantime, here are some pictures and a video from our travels yesterday in Mississippi.

Elvis' birthplace in Tupelo.


Statue of Elvis at 13.


Guitar on the street in Tupelo.


Ground Zero Blues Club in Clarksdale.


Morgan Freeman's restaurant, Madidi, also in Clarksdale.  Believe me, this is the ONLY building in town that looks this good.  It's a very depressed place.  I can't for the life of me image how any of the locals can afford to eat there--check out the menu--and although it's home of the Delta Blues Museum, I can't imagine they have a huge draw of tourists.


We had to go to McDonald's to find a place to sit down and get a coffee--no such place downtown. Just a lot of run down and vacant buildings.



I have to wonder, who's paying $27 for salmon grenobloise?
 
One thing, though--the people EVERYWHERE in Mississippi are the nicest, most polite folks.  Every interaction was a joy.
 
Here's a short video of a bit of our ride from Clarksdale to Vicksburg yesterday (background music by the Blackwell Sinners).
 

 
That's it for now--I'll post more when I can!

2 comments:

Bar L. said...

Wow. I've always wanted to visit the southern states - its a whole different way of life there. These are great pics. Keep em coming!

Possum said...

Enjoying your road trip!