Monday, June 1, 2009

Sad news about Beautiful Aunt Joyce


I’m sorry to say that Beautiful Aunt Joyce passed away today at 7:15 EDT. Even though I knew with 100% certainty it was coming, it’s still a bit of a shock knowing she’s actually gone. That headache you get from crying so much is starting to settle in; this post will be therapy for me.

I’m leaving for Albany tomorrow afternoon and will be returning to Vegas on Sunday. Amazingly, the bereavement policy at work allows for three days off, even for aunts, which is nice. My sister Lori was teasing me about this post—she said at least now I don’t have to go into rehab or have elective surgery to get out of work. We're sick, huh?

I don’t know when the wake and funeral will be, but we’ll have a family caravan down to Pennsylvania either Wednesday or Thursday. As sad as we all feel, every one of us in this crazy clan is a comedian (and nothing is off limits), so there’s sure to be lots of laughter through the tears. Yeah, we put the “fun” not only in dysfunctional, but funeral, too.




Joyce would want it that way; she had an incredible sense of humor herself. Even though it was devastating for her to lose her hair to chemo, she found a way to laugh about it. Baldness? Nothing a hat with built-in dreadlocks can’t solve!




Here she is with my nephew Cameron, Lori’s son.


And here they are again—pulling a little switcharoo with the headgear. Cam, that wig is so totally you!


Funny, huh? Just your typical pastor.

This picture was taken last Christmas. BAJ was doing so well then; her hair was growing back and she seemed like she was on the upswing. So sad now.


Thank you, thank you from the bottom of my heart to all of you who left such loving comments on my recent posts. You have no idea how comforting your sentiments are (especially the bawdy ones!) And I'm so sorry to hear of all of your losses. The blogsphere is an amazing place—I feel like I have dear friends all over the world. Some I’ve actually met… many I feel like I know… but most of you just read my crap and slip onto and off my site without saying a word. Thank you. Whoever you are, I know you're there.

I’m not sure when I’ll get to post again; my posting schedule has been out of whack lately and will continue to be for a little while longer. Just check back when you can, and know you’re loved.

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

Nothing trite or contrived; to you and yours I'm sorry for your loss.

Sous-Chef

Anonymous said...

Aunt Joyce will never be gone as long as you have memories of her. My deepest condolences for your loss

Anonymous said...

I am terribly sorry for your loss. My heart hurts for you. I will keep your family in my thoughts and prayers.

Julie D said...

I'm so sorry, honey. Rest in peace, BAJ.

travel girl said...

Sorry for your loss.
I do get the whole comedian thing. When I pass, I want a party, a celebration of my life.

I think BAJ would want the same.
have a safe trip.

Other Mikey's Julie said...

Celebrate BAJ and all of the love and humor she brought into your life! Know that while you travel and mourn and celebrate that hundreds of your readers will be there with you - at least in our hearts.

Anonymous said...

May BAJ rest in peace.... What a lovely lady she was.

My heartfelt condolences to you and your extended family who all knew her well and will miss her most.

Hugs
Di
The Blue Ridge Gal

AmyK said...

Recently having a loss myself, my heart aches for your pain. She had such a beautiful smile for you to keep with you. Humor has to get you through it. And, she knows that.

Anonymous said...

the light and love just shine through her smiling face ..I am so sorry for your loss. Thank you for sharing her with us and touching our lives with her story

Joanna Jenkins said...

Sending love from Los Angeles. I'm sorry for your loss. xo

Lisa Gioia-Acres said...

You take all the time you need to grieve. I'm so sorry you have to go through this. Aunt Joyce sounds like a beautiful soul. Hugs embracing you, dear friend.

Anonymous said...

Thank you for sharing your stories of BAJ. I think it's really wonderful that you had each other in your lives.