Thursday, October 29, 2009

GREAT book launch party!


OMG you guys, I cannot even begin to tell you how much fun I had at my book launch party! Everything went so smoothly—like all the planets were in perfect alignment. If only life could go like that all the time!

I had a great turnout—I counted 57 people, but there could have been more that I just don’t remember. Mom and Stepdaddy came down from Idaho, my high school friend Kevin Bacon and his wife were there, lots of my friends from work, friends from previous jobs, friends from the Henderson Writers Group, the facilitator from the divorce support group I joined when I first got here, Mike, my old boyfriend Tim, my old boyfriend Dr. Jim (yeah, I know--all in one room)… it was so totally all about me, at one point I felt like I was at my own wake—except good news!—I didn’t have to die or anything. Awesome!

Those of you who read my book will recall a scene at the DMV where I make a new friend who looks like Jerry Garcia’s younger brother. Look! I haven’t seen him in like five years, but even he showed up! I was so psyched.


We started off in the lounge area, where everyone socialized while I signed books, and then at 7:00 we moved into the showroom that my comic friend Joe Lowers so graciously offered to me for the night. My blogging buddy Hurricane Mikey and I did a hysterical Spinal Tap re-enactment in the backstage area trying to find the right doors and curtains that led to the stage. Did I tell you I have no sense of direction? It was pretty funny.

Once we got oriented, Mikey went out first and gave me a wonderful introduction—thank you, Mikey!


Thank God it was one of those times when I was totally in the zone. As you know, stage fright has always been a problem for me (believe it or not), but the first hour in the lounge was so busy, I didn’t have a chance to let the anxiety build—all of sudden it was time to get up there.


After a little stand-up schitck, I read a few pages taken from here and there from my book, with some anecdotes and general b.s. thrown in as well.

Often when I'm on stage I have an underlying feeling that I can't wait for the experience to end. But that night, I was actually enjoying myself up there. Maybe because I knew that everything I said is the God's honest truth--it's always so much easier that way, in the spotlight and especially in real life.


Afterward, we all went back to the lounge for drinks and boy, was I happy to see not one, but two Guinnesses in front of me (I never drink before I go on stage), courtesy my wonderful friends. By 9:00 almost everyone was on their way, but the hardcores stayed for Joe Lowers' comedy show. Great fun! (And picture me sitting at a table between Mike and Tim... It's all good!)

Joe's a doll--I can't thank him enough for letting me use his showroom--and if you've read my book, you know that from day one here in Las Vegas he's always been so helpful to me, my comedy mentor. The next morning I got an email from him with the subject title "Wow."

Great job! I thought what you did on stage was great. I love how it worked and I think you should think about a one-women show around your book. I know where you could do it!!!
Encouragement to put together a one-woman show with an offer of a room to do it in? That's certainly worth consideration. One more thing for my To-Do list...

It was simply a fantastic, perfect night and I thank everyone who came to support me from the bottom of my heart. And of course, thanks to all of you beloved readers from all over the world who've sent kind sentiments of support.

Thank you, thank you, thank you!

16 comments:

dle1004 said...

I am so happy it went so well...I think a one-woman show would be terrific....and then a traveling one-woman show even better...followed by another book!!!! CONGRATS

Other Mikey's Julie said...

Linda Lou - you ARE a one woman show, why not take it on stage! Your words just jump off the page today, I can feel the excitement. Thank you for posting pictures - it was almost like being there.
I am so happy for you - for your success and the way that you are soaking in every minute of it. Way to go!

raydenzel1 said...

The Belle of the ball. Congrats on another milestone.

classicrockforthesoul said...

I'm so glad it went well for you!!
You are a star!

And OMG that does look like Jerry Garcia's younger brother hahaha too funny! :)

Tara said...

Awesome Linda, you're doing some great things!!! I say why not? to the one woman show!! Congrats again :)
XOXO

Lori Biker said...

As always, I am so proud of you. I am sad I wasn't there but glad Mommy was, yes, I will call her Mommy in public. I can't wait until you do it again in Albany. I sold 5 of your books this morning! It is such an easy sell! I love you and I am just PSYCHED about this whole wonderful thing that you have made happen for you!!!

Anonymous said...

So happy for you!!!! I wish I could have been there. I am diving into your book on Tuesday next week (still doing homework - last class on Monday!).

The Peach Tart said...

You totally need to be rocking the one woman show. Remember feel the fear and do it anyway.

K A B L O O E Y said...

What a fantastic night, and good for you. As for the praise from your mentor and the idea to do a one-woman show, that does sound scripted from a dream -- how exciting. Sounds like the night exceeded your expectations and gave people who love you a chance to celebrate WITH you -- better than a wake. You got to drink the Guinness, not just be mentioned in the toasts as it was tossed back. I am now going to get off my butt and order a book.

Fragrant Liar said...

You rocked it! So glad to hear how well it went, and how much you actually enjoyed the limelight. Wish I could have been there to see it.

One-woman show? Aren't you already?

Unknown said...

I'm with Peach...do it...feel the fear and do it anyway.

I am loving your book. I haven't finished it with so much going on. Sounds like the turnout was great. You'll be on the best sellers list in no time.

Julie D said...

A one woman show....nothing could be more perfect. Congrats on such an amazing night. I wish I hadn't missed it, but I was there in heart. Great job, sis!

Stephanie said...

This is so amazing, excitng and inspirational!! Congats to you. Oh and you look fabulous!!

Bar L. said...

I am thrilled that you had such a great time and got to actually EJNOY the moment vs. being nervous, etc. You ROCK SO BAD!!!! I am coming up to see your one woman show next time!

Hurricane Mikey said...

It was a wonderful night all around. And you just *rocked* the crowd in the showroom, too!

I'm glad you let me be a part of it--I feel like a little bit of your awesomeness rubbed off on me!

Mandy said...

Congrat to you on a well-deserved, fabulous occasion! :-)