Tuesday, October 27, 2009

Tonight’s the big night!

Bastard Husband: A Love Story launch party
Tonight at 6 p.m.
Alexis Park Resort
375 E Harmon, across from the Hard Rock

If you're in Vegas, you're invited!

OMG you guys, I have a million freakin’ things to do to prepare for tonight’s book launch party at Alexis Park Resort. I heard from almost 60 people who’ve said they’re planning on coming—very exciting! The adrenaline’s flowing, in a good way, but don’t think for one minute that this isn’t just a tiny bit out of my comfort zone. You know me—I like the spotlight, but stage fright has always been a problem for me and I’m starting to blotch up a bit.

I have to remind myself of the advice I’ve given people over the years about the importance of getting out of your comfort zone now and then, even if it scares the crap out of you. You may have to push yourself to do it—or have me as a friend who’ll nag you to no end—but the reality is, once you’ve stepped outside your comfort zone, you’ll realize three things: 1) It wasn’t that scary after all, 2) You feel really, really good about yourself, and 3) Now your comfort zone is even bigger, which means you can do more and more with ease. That's growth.

Remember on my birthday I asked what you to think about what you do better than almost every other person on this earth? Have you given any more thought to how you're going to present that talent to the rest of the world? Wouldn’t today be a great day to do something to unfold the talent you’ve identified, even if it scares the crap out of you? Come on—let’s step outside our comfort zones together!

P.S. Here’s a technique I use to gain confidence. I keep a file of all the encouraging emails I get and read them before I venture into uncomfortable territory. Here are some emails I've received from readers about my book. I’ll be keeping these in mind tonight before I go on stage:

"Ok, first night and I read 82 pages. Need to save the rest for the flight. Looks like I'm buying Christmas gifts from you!"

“I can’t put it down!”

“I thought I would give you a few first reactions to your book. I just finished Part I. Hilarious. Sad. Extremely well-written. (you DO have a real gift)”

“I read your entire book on the plane and loved it! I got teary when Lola died and laughed out loud several times at other parts which were hysterical! You are so funny and strong yet willing to show what is hurtful to you as well. I simply loved it. When is the next book coming out!!”

“The book came yesterday and I made the mistake of starting to read it at 830pm.....lets just say I could not put it down!! But it is all your fault that I am more grumpy than usual today at work!!! GREAT BOOK”

“It's 2 am and it's been years since I've stayed up this late to finish a book. I just couldn't stop reading. Can't understand, with all the crap that is showing up in the book stores, why an agent didn't pick this up… Linda, this is a wonderful book and what I consider very well written. I hope it's noticed by a big publisher and moves on and into the spot light. There a lessons here for everyone... Thanks for writing this.”

“LL...only a few pages into BH and loving it. Its fantastic. You inspire the fuck out of me.”


Thanks, all! Wish me luck, and I'll do the same for you.

(What? You haven't bought my book yet? What the heck are you waiting for???)

11 comments:

Tara said...

Good luck tonight!!! I'm sure you'll sell out! Wish I could be there just to hang out, but we all know how that goes these days :( Finished the book Saturday night and loved it. Now I'm passing it on to my best friend who needs to read something like that right now.. XOXO

Anonymous said...

I know you're going to "kick ass" tonight, Linda.
Congrats! You truly deserve your success!!!
Nancy

KriMonster said...

Can't wait for tonight! I'll definitely be there!

Other Mikey's Julie said...

So excited for you! This is such a big deal for a writer - first published book, first release party! Soak it all in... and then get to work on book #2!

dle1004 said...

Yet another reason why I wish I lived in Vegas! I would so be there, cheering you on and gushing about this great book....Take deep breaths and know that people all over are supporting you in mind and spirit and most of all HAVE FUN

Mandy said...

Linda, I know you'll shine big tonight. I won't say good luck b/c I don't think you need it. I'll just say - savor the moment and have a fabulous time!

I love the raw honesty of your book. I just finished part one yesterday and I keep reading it thinking....wow, she's so brave. She's so funny. A bit crazy. But damn, I want her to see her triumph. B/c I get lost in your words and forget that DUH! You are a real person, LOL. And that you've lived through all this. You're amazing and your book is amazing!

Have a glass of wine for me tonight please!

Julie D said...

Good luck, darlin! It's a fabulous book, and I am so very proud of you, my separated-at-birth-by-a-few-years sister. Love you! Have a wonderful night!!!!

By the way, I'm not coming out there next week. Waaaaaah.

Josie said...

I finished BH on Sunday and truly enjoyed it. I could not put it down. I really enjoy the way you write....please keep writing!!! Good luck tonight - it's your night, enjoy it.

BTW I've already passed my copy on to someone in the office, and there are 2 women waiting for it when she's done!

Bar L. said...

You'll do GREAT! Enjoy your fame and get ready for fortune :)

Unknown said...

Awww, shoot, I was in Vegas on Saturday to Monday. Too bad we weren't still there!! I would've loved to have been there! Hope it was a huge success.

Carol said...

I just know that you are going to do so well tonight. You are just a talented person!!

Enjoy tonight.

Carol
Perth WA