Tuesday, February 14, 2012

Everybody loves somebody -- Happy Valentine's Day!

Yes, I’m in wedded bliss these days, but believe me, I know first-hand that Valentine’s Day can positively suck for a lot of folks.   One of my Facebook friends posted this: 


HA!  Debra, may I suggest treating yourself to a copy of Bastard Husband: A Love Story, the lonely white girls' bible?

Seriously, if you’re newly divorced, longing to be in a romantic relationship, or longing to get out of a lousy one, you know exactly what I mean about the craptastic nature of this day.  Even if you’re with someone you totally dig, Valentine's Day can end up being a huge disappointment if your beloved’s attempt (if there is one) to express his devotion fails to meet your expectations.

My advice?  Don’t have any expectations.  

It’s a stupid holiday.  Mike's been asking me what I want and I'm like, "Dude, you are totally off the hook; I have everything I could possibly want.  And if you get me a box of chocolates, I'll kill you."  Wow, I just had a Valentine's Day flashback of my mother hurling a box of Whitman's chocolates at my father across the dining room table.  And I don't think she was concerned about their effect on her low-carb diet.


Anyway, I do like the idea of a day devoted to love.  To me, Valentine's Day presents the perfect opportunity to surprise and delight someone you care about.   Call or pay a visit to an elderly relative or friend.  Treat an unattached pal to dinner.  Buy a card for your bosom buddy.   Anonymously leave a bouquet of flowers on the desk of a co-worker you appreciate.  Give your favorite cashier a Starbucks card.  Hell, give a Starbucks card to a stranger on the street.

Spread the love.  It's a good day for it.  And don't forget to do something for yourself.  
Hmmm.  That just gave me an idea.  If you're looking for me at lunchtime today, I'll be at Ross.

5 comments:

Mimi said...

Brilliant post!
Actually, I take that back. I think this is probably the best post I've ever read.
(and for the record, I'm in a happy marriage, but still never forget how awful V day was when alone).
enjoy yourself Linda!

Tender Heart Bear said...

Happy Valentine's Day to both of you!

My boyfriend and I went out on Sunday for our Valentine's day together. You are right because all I need is my boyfriend. I don't need all the commercialized things.

Liz said...

The hubby and I have never celebrated Valentine's Day. I don't feel the need. We have each other and love each other every day.

I DO like your idea of using the day to do something nice for someone though. I may just do that!!

Debra Layne said...

It’s the lonely white girl here. I’m honored – I’ve never been the subject of a blog post before. Well, at least not that I know of. But don’t cry for me, Argentina…or Las Vegas…or anyplace else. I realized a very long time ago that I am not defined by the presence (or the absence!) of a man in my life. Having a loving family and thoughtful friends is making my Valentine’s Day a good one. But then again, that’s the case every day.

I love the ideas of treating both myself AND a random stranger to something nice. So I think I’ll knock out both at the same time. I’m heading out to Ross too, and I’ll be giving the cashier a Starbucks card :-)

P.S. Linda, I’ve been a long-time blog lurker, and I’ve already read your book – I actually have a signed copy. I absolutely love your humor, your attitude, your ability to punctuate correctly and your love of life. In fact, I want to be just like you when I grow up!

Vegas Linda Lou said...

Aim higher, Debra, aim higher...