Thursday, April 21, 2011

If you think my driving is scary, you should see me first thing in the morning

Of course I miss Mike and the kids while I’m here in Albany, but you know what else I miss? The sun. I think I’ve seen it for all of about 10 minutes since last Saturday. What a miserable stretch of weather we’re having here in the Northeast, and there’s really no end in sight.

I’m hoping it’ll break over the weekend. My 12-year-old grandson, Connor, and I are taking a road trip to northern Vermont on Saturday and it would be nice if it weren’t raining or drizzling. Or snowing. We’re heading to the Stowe area, so if anyone knows of an awesome place to stay up there, do tell.

In case you don’t know, Stowe, VT, is a major ski resort. I’ve never been up there, but usually ski towns are fun any time of year. I’ve been to Park City, Vail and Steamboat Springs (I don’t even ski), and they were all a blast.

I love the fact that Connor still wants to hang out with me; those teenage years are approaching and soon he’ll be too busy and cool, but I understand. I’ll take every minute with him that I can. Although last time we took a road trip together (in February when he was in Vegas) he said, “Granny, you’re driving scares me!”

Yeah, you and the rest of the world. You know the line from my comedy act: “I never get in accidents, but I hear them happening behind me.”

I wish I had a better rental car. It’s a Chevy Aveo-- the company I work for doesn’t pay for it and I’m too cheap to spring for anything better. Plus I need a small car since I’m a crappy driver. Anyway, no offense to anyone who drives one of these, but it’s a piece of shit. It has absolutely nothing electronic! Even Connor was like, “Granny, what century is your car from?” You have to use a key to get in and you have to pull up the knobs to unlock each individual door, like in the olden days. We’re talking windows that you have to actually roll down! I’m looking for the friggin’ 8-track.

Funny how I can be so above a car like that—for 14 years and 208,000 miles I drove a totally un-electronic Saturn (with a bitchin’ cassette deck) and did nothing but brag how it was the greatest car on earth. And now I think my Scion is the greatest car on earth. Look how cute it is!


My car pretending it's in a commercial at Valley of Fire

I keep thinking I need to start my book, Cars I Have Loved, Men I Have Wrecked.

So my car is another thing I miss, but it’s really great to be here in Albany. I’ve been having a blast and cherish every moment with my family and friends.

I probably won’t get to post again until late Saturday or early Sunday, but be sure to check back to see where we end up. I have a particular destination in mind for this weekend that should be interesting!



5 comments:

I Hate to Weight said...

i'm a pretty bad driver myself. i love to daydream, so you can imagine...

also, i challenge anyone to have a worse sense of direction than i do. i can get lost going home from work, and that's a straight shoot down Route 80. it's fairly extraordinary.

enjoy the ride!!!!!!!!!!!!

Julie D said...

I've seen you in the morning.

I don't look that good *with* makeup.

Bitch.

Have fun in VT!

cjk_44 said...

i lived in the albany area for 2.5 years in the mid-80s. i think i saw the sun for a total of nine minutes. i'm kidding, of course, but it really seemed like the sun shining was so infrequent that it was worth celebrating when the sun made its rare appearances.

Caz Wilson said...

Please write that book - that title's just made me LOL in my rather quiet office.

gayle said...

Hope you are having an awesome time with your grandson!!! Can't wait to hear all about it!