Demi's a tough cookie who wasn't born into a life of privilege like so many actresses--she's no Jane Fonda or Tori Spelling or Kate Hudson.
- Her biological parents were married for two months and her father left her 18-year-old mother before she was born.
- Her stepfather frequently changed jobs and moved the family a total of 40 times.
- Her home life was shaped by parents who were into drinking, arguing, and beating until her stepfather finally committed suicide.
- She had to wear an eye patch during childhood due to operations on her left eye.
- Demi quit school at 16 and married rocker Freddie Moore at 18
One of the best compliments I ever get is when women tell me I'm a "girl's girl." I am; I'm a real girlfriend. I love men, of course, but I'm all about girl power. If Demi were one of my girlfriends, here's what I'd tell her, in the nicest way possible:
- Look, you're gonna be 50 this year. Aging is not a death sentence for your good looks. There are plenty of beautiful role models who are a lot older than you, but the thing is, beauty emerges from the inside out. Be thankful for everything you have--gratitude shows on your face as beauty.
- Speaking of what shows on your face, you gotta quit smoking. Nothing ages a face faster than cigarettes.
- Give up the Whip-its and "special cigarettes." You're too old for that shit. You have daughters and need to set an example.
- Gain some weight, I beg of you. At 5'5" you should tip the scales at least around 130.
- Ashton was an asshole. I hate that he was such a cheater. On top of that, he's weird looking. You deserve so much better.
- Let me send you a copy of Bastard Husband: A Love Story.
- Next time, go for a guy your own age. You won't have to worry so much about your looks; 50-something men are noticing changes in their own bodies and are very forgiving of the "imperfections" that come with the normal aging process. They're not looking for perfection; they want someone real. Except the 50-year-old midlife crisis guys who think they should be dating girls in their 20s. But you don't want them, anyway.
- Oh, and tell the next guy that if he ever cheats on you, he will wake up some morning with his bloody balls in his hands. You're an actress; I know you can say that very convincingly.
- Keep in mind that even though we don't know you, there are so many people out there who love you. We're all sending our best wishes.