Thursday, April 19, 2012

You have no idea how many people love you!

Little did I know when I woke up Tuesday morning that, in addition to Hazel's second birthday, it was going to be "I Love Linda Day."

It started before my feet hit the bedroom floor. My iPhone was charging on my side of the bed and so first thing, I checked my email to find a private Facebook message from a name I didn't recognize.  It simply said, "I love your blog!" 

Great start to the day.  I wrote back saying thank you and I often wonder who the hell reads my crap. I've said a million times that the best thing about blogging is connecting with people; I've made some wonderful friends since I started this blog almost four years ago. 

My new friend and I exchanged back and forth a bit, and she said she was hesitant to "friend" me because she did that once with a blogger who got all in a snit and even called her out on her next post asking why she would do such a thing, since she didn't know her in real life and what could they possibly have in common?

Not me, man; I'll take all the friends I can get.

Anyway, it was nice to start the day feeling appreciated, and a few hours later things got even better when I received an email from beloved fellow blogger Very Josey saying she posted about me.  I checked out her site, and I am telling you,  I was floored to see this post.  I'm not kidding, tears were streaming down my face.  I NEVER could have seen that coming.

The reason I'm posting this is not to remind you how friggin' awesome I am (okay, well maybe just a little).  No, seriously--I wanted to share this with you because we all go through phases where we get down on ourselves.  Everybody goes through times where you question your self-worth and wonder if you've ever made a sound decision in your life.  You think you should have more by this age, whether it's more money in your 401K or more accomplishments under your belt or both.  You should be in better shape.  You should try harder at work, even though you hate being there. You should be more patient with others.  You should make more time for yourself.  You should at least freakin' acknowledge the comments on your blog that nice people have taken the time to write (I know).

You should, you should, you should, blah, blah, blah...

So yeah, it's so easy to convince yourself that you positively suck at everything.  But there are people out there--and I mean perfectly sane, well adjusted people--who think you are the tits. 

On Tuesday, I was reminded of that.  But did my new Facebook friend reach out to me because she suddenly decided she liked my blog?  Did Josey get a blast of inspiration from me out of nowhere and dash off that blog post right then and there?  Of course not.  It's just that, coincidentally, I heard from them within a couple of hours.  So I'm gonna say it again:

Whether you know it or not, there are people who think you're the tits.

Just because you don't know who they are, doesn't mean they're not there.

22 comments:

Taradharma said...

oh, darling, how wonderful! And YES, I needed this message today! Someone thinks I'm the tits!

All the blah blah blah has been swirling around my head every damn day for a couple of weeks. I manage to talk myself out of it, and get out of my head with music, domestic chores, baseball games, etc. But it's a drag to wake up to negativity from my own GD brain. So, thank you very much for these comedic words of wisdom. You ARE the tits!

Carmel said...

Linda I'm really looking forward to reading your book. It'll be shipping to me tomorrow.

Bar L. said...

Great reminder. If anyone I know is the tits, its you my dear :) I'll email you about my new boyfriend, he's a sweetheart (and a doctor!!) and I am HAPPY as can be.

Sous-Chef said...

Damn Josie have you been crawling around in my head?

Yes Linda you are loved and adored for simply being you, when you pile on things like published author, mentor, Hot Granny, etc you are a freak'in inspiration to us all. <3

Note to self: add to my "to do" list.

1. Get out of these milkbone underwear and
2. Relocate my inner Linda Lou.

{{{HUGS}}}

Souschef

Tasha said...

A good reminder that, yes, certain people do think I'm the tits. And speaking of tits, my actual tits are pretty nice, too. :P

Tracey said...

Let me make sure I have this straight.... if you are "the tits" it's a good thing but if you are a "boob"... not so much?

Vegas Linda Lou said...

Thank you, Tara! Of course, there are also people out there who can't stand my friggin' guts. They're loyal readers, too--checking in everyday just to make sure they still hate me. But you know--fuck them, right?

Josie said...

Linda you ARE the tits!

You are very inspirational, energetic and soooo not stuffy. My kinda gal.

Oh and I stand up straight because of you - makes a big difference!

xoxo

Vegas Linda Lou said...

Yay! People never say no to someone with excellent posture. Thanks a million, Josie!

Vegas Linda Lou said...

Thanks a million, Carmel. I know you're going to love it!

Awesome, Barbara! You deserve only the best, my friend.

Hugs to you, Sous chef! "Hot granny"--hahaha! Just what I always wanted to be!

@ Tasha: Indeed they are…

@ Tracey: Yes, that is correct. Hope you're having fun here in Tit, I mean Sin, City.

Mimi said...

I went and read her post, and Linda, the girl writes the truth. every time I come here, I go away with a glow inside me, and I too think "I'm going to be like her".
The first 6 letters of shoulders are should, and when we go "should", we carry unnecessary stuff on our shoulders. Now if only I could remember that all the time!
I LOVE the last line in your post! Yes, Linda, I'm in your fan club too!

Vegas Linda Lou said...

I never heard that before--about "should" being on your shoulders. So true. Thank you, Mimi!

grrouchie said...

Everyone needs to be reminded that they are loved when the world is so full of negativity!

Vegas Linda Lou said...

So true, Grrouchie!

Taradharma said...

Tracey - excellent observation and question! How about ....
You're the top!
You're the Coliseum.
You're the top!
You're the Louver Museum.
You're a melody from a symphony by Strauss
You're a Bendel bonnet,
A Shakespeare's sonnet,
You're Mickey Mouse.
You're the Nile,
You're the Tower of Pisa,
You're the smile on the Mona Lisa ...etc. etc.

Debbie said...

LINDA! LINDA! LINDA! We All Love You!
You make me laugh, you build me up, you give me encouragement and confidence and you helped me with my resume. What more can I say. You are a beacon of light when I feel I am all alone in the dark.

LOVE YOU!
XOXOXO
Deb

Paul Atreides said...

Thanks for this post, Linda! As we face having to sell our home - the one I slaved over designing to get it "just right," the one we've taken such laborious time to find just the right artwork for the walls, the one we've experienced just joy in with friends and family - it's nice to have a reminder that 'it's just a house' and there are more important things. Things like having friends like YOU and Mike who make us laugh and smile.

Vegas Linda Lou said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Vegas Linda Lou said...

@ Debbie: I love you, too, you friggin' kook! My fingers are crossed that the perfect job comes your way and SOON! I wish all the best to you. XOXO

@ Paul: I'm so sorry to hear that. Even though it's "just a house," it's still your creation and it must be heartbreaking to have to let it go. Mike and I value your friendship as well.

~Coach said...

There's a certain tits and boobs post that you should see... :)

Jim said...

1) Thought of you today when I saw this: "Comedian Louis C.K.’s first language is Spanish and has dual citizenship in Mexico and the U.S.!"

2) You and your blog are the tits!

Vegas Linda Lou said...

@ Coach: Where might I find that?

@ Jim: I knew that about my man Louis CK! Who would have thought? I just watched his 2008 special yesterday. Man, he is out there! Thanks for commenting.