Saturday, February 20, 2010

As David Byrne says, "How did I get here?"

You’re going to have to pinch me because I still can’t believe I have my own one-woman show. It’s surreal, you know? I’ll be backstage hearing everyone file into to the showroom and I’m like, holy shit--these people gave up their time and fought traffic and paid good money… all to see me. I feel a real sense of obligation to make it worth their while since they’ve made such an effort to get there.

It does make me crazy. I never know what kind of audience I’ll have and it’s weird; each audience seems to have its own type of collective energy. Last night they were great—I had five girls front and center who seemed to giggle at everything I said. God bless them, I’d love to plant them in the audience every night! Thursday night we had an older demographic, and though they were a much less vocal crowd, they also seemed to enjoy the show.

I heard somewhere that the definition of stress is the difference between how things are and how you want them to be. I always want to do a good show—well, actually I’d like to do a perfect show, but I know there’s no such thing—but the reality is, some are going to be better than others.

This is a learning process for me; I have to learn not to get stressed by the reality that sometimes I might not pull it off the way I want to. I think that’s why sometimes we don’t even bother to attempt to work toward goals; we worry that our efforts will result in something that sucks and so we let the vision die before it’s even born.

Let’s not do that, huh? Let’s plow through the doubt and fear. You know how I love to get on you to identify your talents and work toward sharing them with the world. Are you making progress?

Usually my BFF and cubicle buddy, Joe, hosts my show but he’s tied up this weekend. Lucky for me, my sister Lori is in town and took over his duties last night (and will again tonight, too). She did a fantastic job! Mom is also here this week and takes some good-natured ribbing during the show. And the CD playing before and after is the Red Haired Strangers, my son-in-law’s band. Keeping it all in the family!

Enjoy and have a great weekend!

P.S. I’m working on a YouTube video of a couple of minutes of my show—will post soon. (Tripod this time!)

10 comments:

Hurricane Mikey said...

Tara and I will be there tonight!

Donna B. said...

Jerry and I will have to come again to see your show...we'll make sure we sit up front...:}

Carol said...

Hi,

Just wanted to let you know that I received my book in the mail. Thank you so much for my lovely bonus pressie too!!
I am torn. I'm going to America in August, should I wait and read the book on the plane or simply read the book right now!!! Simply can't decide. I always love to read a good book on the plane and at the airport and I just know yours will be fabulous.

Carol :)

Rochelle said...

Yayyyy! I was hoping you'd do something for YouTube so us poor sods that can't get to Vegas can see you - woo hoo!!! :)

Julie D said...

Ooooh, can I host when I come to town? I used to emcee a Male Revue you know! When I hold something the size and shape of a microphone up to my mouth, it's magic for everyone! ;)

Unknown said...

I can't wait to see the youtube but I also can't wait to see you in person!!

Anonymous said...

Can't wait to see the YouTube!!!!!

And good for you for hanging in there to pursue your dreams (and tackle those fears). I'm learning from you!

Bar L. said...

I will be up there someday...I will, I will, I will!


I am SO happy for you - this is your moment, you worked for it, you have what it takes, you deserve this!

I am wondering how long till you get a call from Jimmy Kimmel, then Leno, then Letterman......

Can't wait for the Youtube!

gayle said...

Can't wait to see the You Tube!! and maybe someday in person!!

K A B L O O E Y said...

Never said this before, but I (too) can't wait to see the youtube video. Maybe you can tape the whole show and put it up in installments? Or sell DVDs? I want one with your commentary track, of course.