Tuesday, December 15, 2009

Here I go nagging you again, but at least it’s not about buying my book (I’ll do that tomorrow)

Some of you may have seen my post on Facebook saying I wrote in half my Christmas cards, "Here's to a great 2009!" OMG, I’m an idiot. And of course I sealed them, so there was no turning back. Fortunately they’re all to friends who already know I’m an eh-hole (that’s Canadian for a-hole), so it’s not like anyone will suddenly be wondering if Linda’s losing it. Jesus H.

So I’ve been working on my one-woman show lately and last weekend it suddenly hit me that I am gonna be up there all by myself for over an hour! This is beginning to frighten the hell out of me, but in a good way. Putting this show together is a challenge that’s out of my comfort zone—and actually performing it is WAY out there—but it’s something I know I can do and will make every effort to do well.

I’ve written before that every once in a while you have to do something that scares the crap out of you. Once you do it, your comfort zone expands and you have a wonderful feeling of accomplishment. There’s nothing like the satisfaction of pulling something off that, at one point, you weren’t sure you actually could.

Remember my birthday post when I asked you these questions?

What is your God-given talent? What do you do better than almost every person on earth? How can you share your talent with the rest of the world?
Back then I said you didn’t need answers at that moment, just start thinking in that direction. But now it’s getting closer to the beginning of a New Year (that would be 2010, right?) and it’s the perfect time to identify a goal that both encompasses what makes you wonderful in your unique way and is a little outside your comfort zone.

So what is it you’d like to accomplish? What will we be looking back at this time next year with a sense of pride?

You don't have to tell me right this minute, but you know I'll be asking again soon. If I can do it, so can you!

8 comments:

Josie said...

Linda, you're so inspirational. You make me think beyond today. Thank you.

Donna B. said...

Hey Linda, thanks for the Christmas Card, and YES, let's get together in January and have lunch. I chickened out having my shoulder manipulated, so still have that looming in the new year... but I am really looking forward to getting together...Merry Christmas!

Vegas Linda Lou said...

@ Josie: No, thank you. What is a writer without readers?

@ Donna: Looking forward to meeting you, too, and have a great 2009! (HA!!)

gayle said...

What do I want to accomplish next year..does retiring count?

The Peach Tart said...

Good luck on the one woman show. I wish I could come see.

Victoria said...

Linda,

My first hero said this to me when I was 19, "Scare yourself." You know he's right. And with that he got me up on stage for the first time in my life reading something I'd written to a room full of strangers. It was the best high in the world. You are so there!

K A B L O O E Y said...

Whew, thanks for the out. I was going to try to make a public declaration, but now I can procrastinate some more.

Rochelle said...

I'd like to have revised the novel I wrote during NaNoWriMo into a tolerably readable manuscript in 2010. I hope your one-woman show goes on tour!